Monday, June 6, 2016

Deshauna Barber wins Miss USA 2016 #BlackGirlMagic








Miss USA 2016 is the Beautiful 26 year old ( Miss District of Columbia 2016) Deshauna Barber. The new Miss USA is not only a beauty queen but also a soldier in the United States Army. Her willinglyness to serve in the military shows that she has no problem laying her life on the line for her country so why not have an awesome woman such as Deshauna as your Miss USA 2016. She slayed the stage. Her walk and her smize were on point and love how she remained true to herself throughout the competition. 







When Terrence J announced DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA as the winner, I immediately was overcome with joy and happiness. I know I was not the woman on the stage who had just endured an instense competition while millions judge her physically and from an intellectual standpoint. I may not have been on that stage but I am a black woman who competes in pageant. I am not just a black woman, I am a DARK SKINNED Black woman and lastly I am an Army Officer. I share many things in common with Deshauna so her winning really touched me deeply and left me not only inspired but hopeful and PROUD of my fellow sistah As a Dark Skinned Woman in America we experience a journey unlike any other. Our beauty is consistently challenged and sometimes diminished. Which in return leads to us having to work twice as hard to smile through the pain and criticism while having to uplift ourself and other women who look just like us 








Normally BEAUTY is not associated with the military. Many people don't see women who serve in the military as beautiful. I have been out and about on many occasions and when it comes out that I'm in the army some people get a bewildered look on their face and the usual statement " wait YOU ARE IN THE MILITARY " the conversation heads in the direction of "Wow you are too pretty to be in the Army" and I usually respond with well what do you mean by that because I'm a firm believer in the fact that Beautiful Women can and do serve our nation. Deshauana's win reemphasized how amazingly beautiful both inside and out that a military woman can be.

My favorite part of the competition was the on stage question. Deshauna was asked a question concerning the Army opening combat arms jobs to women. I literally feel as if it was by fate that she got this question. Her answer was flawless. 

" As a woman in the United States Army, I think...we are just as tough as men. As a commander of unit, I'm powerful, I am dedicated, 'Gender does not limit us in the United States Army" 









Deshauna your win has inspired Black girls, Black women nation wide and Military Queens. Your #BlackGirlMagic is shinning brightly, we see you girl.  Your win is a win for us all and I will definitely be following your reign. I am excited for your upcoming events, interviews, the Miss Universe pageant, and all the lives you will positively impact during your year as Miss USA. 






Miss USA is a graduate of Virginia State University and a member of Sigma Gamma Rho. She has a Bachelor''s of Science degree in Business Management and currently works as an IT Analyst for the U.S Department of Commerce. She is currently a First Lieutenant in the United States Army where she is a Logistic Commander for the 988th Quartermaster Detachment Unit at Fort Meade Maryland.









And just for clarification she is MISS USA, not Miss America. They are two different pageant systems.

Enjoy your reign Queen and Good Luck at Miss Universe, I already know you're going to slayyyyyyyyyyyyy that stage as well. Keep making Black Women proud and being Confidently Beautiful. 



Remember To Always Be
Fierce and Fabulous
xoxo
Lela Victoria








No comments:

Post a Comment