Monday, October 28, 2013

Halloween costumes that go to FAR 2013

Halloween isn't my favorite holiday, I'm more of a Christmas girl, but I do dress up and celebrate it. This year I have seen a few things that highly disturbs me and makes me feel some type of way.

The Black community is still healing from the Trayvon Martin shooting. The nation is healing, our community is healing, and his family is healing. Yet some people thought it would be a good idea to black face themselves and portray the image of being Trayvon Martin for Halloween.







Seeing these images literally made my heart drop to my stomach. An unarmed teenager is dead and people seem to think his death should be made a mockery of. I feel as if Trayvon is my brother or cousin and people are making fun of him. This young man has lost his life, his mother and father lost a son that they will never get back yet some people seem to think that this topic is something to be made fun of. Not only are you disrespecting Trayvon but you are disrespecting the black community by choosing to rock BLACK FACE.!!!


OKAY now that I've calmed down a bit lets talk about the next picture. 










































Pictured above is an African America female who decided for Halloween her costume would be a COTTON PICKING SLAVE. I know an image such as this has our ancestors turning over in their graves. I personally thing this costume might be worse than the Trayvon costume. She should know better and should know that 300 years of enslavement has damaged her people. She needs to watch the recently released movie
12 Years A Slave
In the movie the slaves are BEAT if they don't pick enough cotton, and the main character Solomon Northup aka Platt, was left to hang from a low tree branch hours upon hours barely able to breathe. Thankfully he did not die, but this is something that should not be represented in a form of a Halloween costume, I might make it my business to find out who this girl is and to reach out and asked why would she do such a thing. Something that is so disrespectful to thousands of people.


Some Americans need serious help, and all we can do is pray for them. Halloween season 2013 has not been a good one for me. I hope this is the last of the foolishness, I don't think I can take anymore. 



Remember to always be 
FIERCE AND FABULOUS
XOXO LELA VICTORIA

No comments:

Post a Comment